Often, criminals are intent on robbing seniors’ homes because they see them as easy targets. This is a scary thought because no one should have to deal with the thought of someone breaking in and feeling defenseless. Here are some basic steps to help you reduce the chances of being victimized.
Basic Home Protection
There are many severe consequences of home invasions. Here are a few specific precautions that you should take to ensure that you are kept safe:
- Never leave a key under the mat or in an obvious place. Instead, give a copy of the key to family members and a neighbor you can trust.
- Make sure all doors are locked, even when you’re at home.
- Always choose solid metal or wood for any door with outside access. It needs to be strong.
- Windows need protection too. Consider adding security film or Plexiglass on the inside to increase your safety.
- If you live in a house with a gate, make sure that you always keep your gate locked.
- If you hear someone knock on your door, bring a phone with you in case you need to call for help.
Extended Home Protection
Here are some additional ways to stay safe:
- Consider adding an alert system to your home.
- Have a security system installed. Every safe home has a security system as they are the foundation of any home safety plan. They will not only help turn away thieves, but they are also very helpful in the case of medical emergencies and fires.
- Have motion sensors installed. They are the perfect way to ensure you know when someone is outside your door. It will also help to prevent vandalism.
- Don’t have regular monthly checks mailed to you. Often, thieves are smart enough to remember dates and times and will be able to steal them. You’re better off receiving them via direct bank transfer.
Here at Premiere Cottages, we make sure that we keep the tightest security procedures possible to ensure our seniors feel safe 24/7. When you have finally decided that it is time for assisted living, choosing the right facility with great security is the next thing you must think about.
Premiere Cottages is a trustworthy, comfortable, and serene place to find your loved ones the care they need as they age. By helping your loved one find a new place to live, you are giving them a safe life in their golden years.
Read More About Senior Health Care: